When and how often should I drain and refill my hot tub water?
This is a common question we receive! Let’s dive in!
Often times customers forget that this is an option for them. If your hot tub or spa water is cloudy or hard to manage even when you’ve maintained regular maintenance, it’s a good indication that it’s time to drain and refill your hot tub water.
We advise our customers to drain and refill their hot tub or spa every four to five months. If you live in an area where winters are cold, try to time out your drain and refills around the coldest winter months. Let’s be real – no one wants to drain their hot tub in negative thirty-degree weather! Fall is a great time to prep your hot tub or spa for the winter months with a proper drain and refill.
Wondering how exactly to do it? Here is a simple step-by-step of how to properly drain and refill your hot tub.
- First, shut the power to the hot tub off.
- Remove the exterior panel just below the hot tub control panel.
- Hook up a hose to the drain hose that’s found in the bottom of the service bay on your hot tub. Depending on the type of hot tub you have, this location may vary.
- Walk the hose out away from the spa and place the end of the hose in an area that’s a safe place for the water to drain.
- Open the valve at the drain hose.
- While waiting for your spa to drain, it’s a good idea to clean and condition your hot tub cover.
- Once drained, wipe down the hot tub if necessary. Detach the hose, shut the valve and begin to refill with fresh water.
- Once to correct water level, you may turn the power on to the spa.
- It’s time to insert the filters! If you have not replaced them in the past year, you will want to do so. Many people get a second set to swap for cleaning. Once the spa is up to temperature, your spa is ready to be balanced properly.
Draining and refilling your spa or hot tub water can seem like a daunting task, but don’t let it! Figure out where the drain hose is on your hot tub or spa and follow these simple steps. Before you know it, you’ll have a fresh hot tub that’s ready for you! If you have any questions let us know or if you’re looking for a product that will clean out your hot tub plumbing lines, click here.